Grab is a taxi booking, dispatching, and logistics service formerly known as GrabTaxi. Started out in 2012 as MyTeksi in Malaysia and is founded by Anthony Tan and Tan Hooi Ling. The idea for Grab came as a pressing need to solve the problem of difficulty with hailing a cab in Malaysia.
Anthony Tan who listened to his class mate grumble about this difficulty ended up drawing up a business plan that brought about the Uber-like service to Malaysia.
This plan won over a lot of promising investors and Anthony was forced to leave the family business in 2012 and start GrabTaxi officially. The platform works solely as a mobile application that links the nearest available cab to persons who need it.
Since it was hard to get a decent ride especially when weather conditions are strong or during rush hours, the Grab platform has brought a lot of ease to the people of Malaysia.
Grab uses its technology to offer a wide range of ride-hailing services both in Malaysia and neighbouring Southeast Asian nations. These nations include Thailand, Vietnam, Philippines, Indonesia and Singapore. And so far, Grab has more than 350,000 registered drivers, and more than 19 million downloads of the mobile app.
How Grab Works
For you to be able to use the grab app to ease your frustrating and difficulty with hailing down a cab, you need to understand how the service works. Grab works in 3 distinctive stage, those stages are:
- Getting the mobile app
- Setting it up for use and
- Booking a ride
Getting the mobile app: with reference to your device app store
- Launch the app store
- Search for GrabTaxi
- Tap on the search result and start installation
Setting it up for use: once installation is complete, tap on the app to launch it
- Enable your device location service
- Make sure your device has a strong internet connection
- Start and complete the registration process for your phone
Booking a ride: you need to have your pick up and destination locations in mind for this stage
- Locate the menu icon from the app interface
- Tap on it, tap on the book a taxi menu
- Identify your location using the map service
- Specify your destination (this brings about the service charge)
- Drop all necessary notes to the driver in the notes section
- Finesse through the cost estimate
- Check the list of nearby drivers
- Click on book now
- Wait for the pickup
- Enjoy your ride
- Leave reviews after your GrabTaxi experience
With just a few taps on your mobile phone you can get a GrabTaxi within your neighbourhood and you can share real-time details of your ride through the numerous Grab Social networks.